Thursday, May 3, 2012

No More Broken Promises

Before I moved to my apartment on Long Island I bought a cookie jar.  It was from Neiman Marcus and I fell in love with it.  However, when Greg and I decided to live together again, he forbid me from bringing my amazing cookie jar.  Now, if you know me, you know that I do not take no for an answer - the cookie jar was coming. 

The only way I could get Greg to allow me to keep my cookie jar in the kitchen (and not in a closet) was by promising to always keep it stocked with homemade cookies.  This lasted for a couple of weeks and then I stopped baking because I didn't want to keep eating cookies!  But yesterday, I remembered that promise I made to my dear friend and I was going to keep it!  No more empty (amazing) cookie jar.


I decided to use a Weight Watcher cookie recipe, with some changes, so that I hopefully wouldn't feel as guilty when munching away on cookies. 

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies:
  • 1 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup salted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
The original recipe calls for white flour, but I've recently discovered white whole wheat flour and it has changed my baking life. 


I've tried baking cookies with whole wheat flour but they come out too hearty and dense, so I save the whole wheat flour for breads.  The white whole wheat flour is lighter than the whole wheat but still maintains the higher protein and nutrition.  The way they do this is simply by milling the grain from hard white spring wheat rather than red wheat which is what whole wheat flour is from.

Anyway, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 

Combine the flour with the baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside. 

Beat butter and brown sugar with a mixer at medium speed until it's light and fluffy, then gradually add the granulated sugar and beat well.  Next, add the cocoa and egg whites, beating well.  Gradually add the flour mixture, beating until blended.  Finally, stir in chocolate chips.

Drop onto baking sheet (I put a sil pad on mine instead of spraying it with non-stick spray to avoid having to wash it) and bake for 12 minutes.  Cool on the pan for a few minutes before you attempt to move them to a rack, as they come out very soft and harden as they cool. 


The original recipe made 40 1-point cookies, but that would be too tiny!  I made 30 cookies, so it came out to 3 weight watcher points in 2 cookies - not too bad. 

Best of all though, the cookie jar is again full of cookies and fulfilled promises.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so I just fainted and regained consciousness. You know about white whole wheat flour, winter wheat, spring wheat, protein content and all. This is so amazing. You'll have to teach me about this, cause I never understood it. But this recipe looks great. Just a 1/2 stick of butter and certainly worth 3 points for 2 cookies. Your friendship is cemented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah Hannah, teaching the ol' dietitian some new tricks. Mom, what would Rutgers say if they heard you didn't understand wheat and protein?

    ReplyDelete