Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Cooking is Caring

Ahh, so June has been some month.  Josh's father went into the hospital at the end of May and actually just got out last night.  So, obviously the month has been very difficult for Josh's family, especially his mom.  I really wanted to do something for her (and win brownie points with the hopefully-soon-to-be-mother-in-law(??) ) so I decided to cook a bunch of healthy meals and snacks that she could freeze and eat when she wanted.  I knew that cooking would be the last thing on her mind, and with Josh's dad in a hospital 30 minutes away, she wouldn't have any time or energy to cook for herself.

So, I spent an ENTIRE Sunday cooking up a storm.  I made whole wheat blueberry muffins, olive bread, mushroom & leak soup, vegetable lasagna, whole wheat macaroni and cheese, broccoli cheddar quiche in a whole wheat crust and chocolate chip walnut cookies (the real deal).

After getting everything cooked, I put the lasagna and macaroni into individual portions so they could be frozen and then thawed for a single serving.  Everything else got put into freezer bags and labeled.



Even though I know I can't take away the stress she's under, I hope that by making this she'll know that Josh and I are here for her and that we're thinking of her.  Besides, don't chocolate chip cookies just make stress go away??

1 comment:

  1. You have a good heart, a good soul and a fine repertoire of wholesome recipes. Harriet will be proud to call you her daughter-in-law one day.

    ReplyDelete