Monday, June 4, 2012

Where Did May Go??

Wow, it's June?!  When did that happen?  I feel like May just flew by in a whirlwind of graduations, birthdays and fattening food!

The diet has not been going well.  It's so hard to stay on track when there are so many celebrations going on, and my May 2012 was just chock full of 'em!

First, there was Mothers Day / Bubby's Birthday / Molly's Graduation party.  This was a complete brunch catered by my mom (which meant that at least there were low fat, whole wheat and healthier options - not that I partook in those...).  The party was a lot of fun and we had a full house for it! 

During the next week were Molly's graduations.  Tuesday was the Steinhardt School Graduation at Radio City and Wednesday was the NYU All School Graduation at Yankee Stadium.  I can't believe my little baby sister has graduated.  Not only graduated, but graduated from the same school I went to!  Being at her graduations definitely brought back a lot of memories for me. 

At the Steinhardt School graduation Molly got her name called and got to walk on stage to get her "diploma" (ie: fake piece of paper that they hand out).  I have no recollection of doing this - either I blacked it out or they don't trust Tisch students to walk across a stage without making a scene.  


My mom, dad and I all had a great time at this graduation, although sitting through all the name calling got pretty boring towards the end.  They had intermittent performances by the Steinhardt singers and dancers which was a lot of fun - I had no idea such talented performers were in other schools at NYU besides Tisch! Also, Molly's best friend, Joey (whom my family has gotten close to), was selected as the student speaker, so it was great to be able to see and hear his speech.  Afterwards, our family and Joey's family went out for lunch at Dojo in the village as a small "good-bye" to NYU.  (I think I ordered the brown rice and steamed broccoli platter in attempts to be healthy and then I ate Molly's french fries and shared an appetizer of sesame noodles - oh well, I had good intentions...)

The next day Josh and I ventured to the Bronx for Molly's Yankee Stadium Graduation.  While the trip in was horrible and stressful, the day was great.  We made it to our seats with about 3 minutes to spare before they ceremony started.


It was especially great for me because my graduation was at Yankee Stadium as well.  It was fun to see it from the other perspective and just watching the graduates there made me remember 4 years ago when I was sitting there!


After the Yankee Stadium graduation it took about 7 years to find Molly (AT&T had bad service combined with Molly's usual lack of organization (:P) and the 32,000 people there) and once we did we had time for a few pictures and then we were off for lunch at Saigon Grill!

The NYU Graduates from left to right: Josh ('07), Me ('08), Dad ('81), Molly ('12)... just missing Bubby, class of 1948!
The next weekend I had arranged for a photographer to come and take family portraits of us.  We haven't had these done since Molly and I were little, so I thought for Mothers Day it would be nice.  Unfortunately, Josh had class and wasn't able to join us, but the rest of us had fun getting ready for our "photo shoot" and posing for the camera.  Teddy was by far the star of the day though... that boy was just made for modeling!  We actually got the "sneak peak" shots today, check some of them out below:










Then that next week was Michael's (Josh's brother) birthday.  We went out for a nice family dinner and then had a delicious tirimisu cake back at Josh's parents house!  Celebrating the birthdays of people who are younger than me is really starting to make me feel old!

Not too long after it was my birthday.  My big 2-6.  I think this is the first birthday that I was NOT looking forward to.  What's the point of getting older now?  Nothing good happens.  It's great to turn 16, 18, 21, even 25... but who wants to be 26?? It's just getting closer to 30 now...

For my actual birthday Josh, Greg and I went out to dinner at a trendy Asian-fusion restaurant and then went back to the apartment for some drinks.  We were all exhausted and looking forward to the upcoming 3 day weekend!  

The next day my parents came out to Long Island in order to do a family dinner to celebrate my birthday.  We were just hanging out on the couch with Teddy when my front door opened and Molly and her boyfriend, Danny, came up the stairs!  It was such a great surprise that they came for my birthday.  I was completely shocked.  My family is not very good at keeping things secret, so I can't believe that no one (especially my dad!) spilled the beans.  

That night we all went to Peter Luger's steakhouse for my birthday dinner celebration.  This is the first time my family  has ever been out to a steakhouse together.  For so many years my mom, dad, sister (or some combination of the three) were vegetarian, so steak was always out.  This is the first time we all eat meat - and boy, DID WE EAT MEAT!  We got the steak for 6 and had just enough left over to bring home for Teddy. 

Then the rest of Memorial Day weekend was spent relaxing with Josh and Teddy. 


And now it is June.  Time to get back to the healthy cooking!

1 comment:

  1. May WAS a great month, with all those activities and celebrations. We have an awful lot to be thankful for. Onward and upward.

    ReplyDelete