Monday, April 23, 2012

Feeling Blue? Eat Some Greens!

Sunday is my normal "cook like crazy" day.  I usually go through recipes, make a list and go food shopping where I buy 3 times as much as I planned / needed.  Then I spend Sunday night prepping and cooking for the rest of the week. 

However, last night I just wasn't feeling it.  Between allergies, the rain and an adorable dog asleep on my lap, I didn't even get out of the apartment until 5pm and that was just to pick up a prescription and get my nails done (priorities).  And, because it was just one of those days, I was constantly snacking.  Because of this, when it came to dinner, Josh nor I were really feeling it.  All we wanted to do was snack on bad foods, have a couple drinks and watch Mad Men.

This is pretty much what we did, except for the snacking on bad foods.  I figured I could justify laying on the couch all night drinking wine as long as I ate something healthy.  But I didn't feel like cooking, so, to the freezer and fridge I went in search of healthy snack foods.

And what I came up with was:


I started with the kale and decided to make kale chips.  I simply tore off some of the thicker stems and spead the leaves onto a baking sheet.  I then sprayed the kale with the olive oil misto and sprinkled on some sea salt.  Then I threw them into a 500 degree oven for 5 minutes.  When they came out they were crispy and just starting to brown on the edges.  


While the kale was cooking I boiled some water and put in the edamame pods.  I left the pods to cook in the boiling water for about 6 minutes and then poured them into a colander to drain.  I then tossed them into a bowl with some sea salt.


Josh and I munched on these snacks while watching Mad Men, and actually finished both!  The kale chips were crispy and salty and the edamame tasted just like from the Japanese restaurant.  It was a guilt-free snacking spree.  Even Teddy liked the kale chips!

2 comments:

  1. Wait a minute. You're buying, preparing and eating kale? When you lived here, you didn't eat kale. You used to ask if I "put anything funny" in any of the meals I prepared.
    But if you can learn to eat those glorious cruciferous veggies, anybody can. I'm glad you're spreading the news. Keep eating right!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't consider kale one of those "funny" things that you sometimes try to sneak into our food! I'm not quite at the point of introducing flax seed into my everyday diet :)

      Delete