Sunday, April 15, 2012

Overcoming My Bread-Making Fear

I made bread!  I keep finding bread recipes that I want to try, but I've just been too scared.  I'm not sure why, it just seems so daunting... the idea of making bread (without a bread machine).  Finally though, I found a recipe that I just couldn't pass up.  Kalamata Olive Bread.  Is there anything more beautiful sounding?  I love olives, and I think Josh is the only person I've met who actually likes olives more than me.  This bread was made for us. 

Kalamata Olive Bread:
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 1/4 cups warm water
  • 1/2 teaspoon rosemary (divided)
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt for sprinkling on dough
  • 1 tablespoon cornmeal

This bread really couldn't be easier to make.  You're just going to mix together the flour, yeast, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, olives, olive oil, water and 1/4 teaspoon rosemary in the bowl of your mixer. 

Then, just take off the mixing attachment and put on the kneader!  Let 'er rip for 10 minutes, until it looks smooth.


Now you're going to let the dough rise for the first time (there are a total of 3 rising times for this bread).  Set it aside and let it rise for about 45 minutes until it doubles in size.


After the dough has risen, turn back on the kneader for 10 minutes.  Then set aside again and let it rise for about 30 minutes, until it doubles in size again.

Now you're going to want to grease (I used the misto with extra virgin olive oil) a medium size bowl and dump the dough into the bowl.



Let it sit in the bowl until it doubles in size again.  Meanwhile, while it's rising for the last time, preheat your oven to 500 degrees and set a baking sheet with water on the bottom rack.  It took about the same amount of time for my oven to preheat and the bread to rise, which worked out well.  While these two things are happening you should get your baking sheet ready.  You'll want to spray the baking sheet (again, I used my misto - although you could use Pam) and then dust with cornmeal.  Once the dough has doubled in size for the third time, gently turn the dough out onto your prepared baking sheet.


At this point you could shape it however you want.  I sorta just turned the dough out and didn't touch it.  It's a pretty sticky dough so if you're going to play around with the shape you'll want to put some flour on your hands.  I sprayed the top of my loaf with the misto and then sprinkled more rosemary and some kosher salt.  This made for a golden brown crust with a salty crunch.

You're going to bake the bread at 500 for 15 minutes and then reduce the heat to 375 and bake for an additional 30 minutes.  You may have to adjust the cooking time if you change the shape.


Let the bread cool completely before eating it.  We were so excited to try it that I cut into it right away and the inside was still soft and tasted dough-y. 

However, this morning for breakfast I decided to try it toasted with butter and it was amazing.  Josh and I may or may not have eaten half the loaf...


I think I've officially overcome my fear of bread making. Who knows what my bread-making future may hold (Josh has requested focaccia next)!

1 comment: