Thursday, April 12, 2012

Healthy Meal from an Empty Fridge

It's gotten bad.  I'm at the point of no return.  I really need to lose weight.  I know everyone says that, but seriously, I have a problem.  A few months ago I joined weight watchers in hopes of losing weight, and I think I've actually gained weight since then! (I wouldn't know for sure since I haven't gone to get weighed in since I joined...)  That is all about to change though.  For real this time.  I'm going to lose weight!

So, now it's not just about eating healthy, but correct portion sizes too.  That's my main problem.  Even though I cook healthy, who really eats the correct portion?  Did you know there are 8 servings in a box of pasta.  Honestly, who gets 8 servings in a box of pasta?! Josh and I probably get 3 or MAYBE 4.  Whoops.

Anyway, in attempts to eat a very low calorie dinner last night (and the fact that I haven't been food shopping in almost 2 weeks so it's slim pickins'), I grabbed 2 of the vegetables we had and attempted to make something of it!

Spaghetti Squash and Roasted Broccoli Boat:
  • 1 spaghetti squash
  • 1 bag frozen (or 1 head fresh) broccoli
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • salt & pepper
  • Parmesan cheese
First, I cut the spaghetti squash in half length wise (hardest part of the whole meal!), scraped out the seeds, seasoned it with salt and pepper and put it in a glass dish with about an inch of water and microwaved it for 16 minutes.

While the squash was in the microwave I opened up a bag of frozen broccoli (which I buy for emergencies such as this), which had been defrosting in the fridge all day.  I put it in a colander to drain out the water and then put it on a foil lined baking sheet.  I sprayed it with a bit of olive oil (using the misto), added the garlic, salt & pepper and mixed it all up.  I then put it in a 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes, until it was roasted and golden.

Once the squash was done, I let it cool for a few minutes until I could handle it.   Then, I scraped out the insides with a fork.  If you haven't had spaghetti squash the cool thing about it is that when you scrape it out, it comes out in strands like spaghetti.  Josh and I love it.  I normally like it with soy meatballs and parmesan cheese, and Josh usually just eats it with tomato sauce. 

I then combined the broccoli and spaghetti squash in a large bowl and added the 1 tablespoon of olive oil, about 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese and more salt and pepper.  Then I put it back in back in the empty squash halves to make it look fancy. 


Voila, quick and healthy dinner!

1 comment:

  1. beautiful presentation. Looks like this dinner was only about 2 or 3 points. You should submit the idea to the Weight Watchers website.

    ReplyDelete