Friday, April 20, 2012

Yogurt...a Love / Hate Relationship

I've never really liked yogurt very much.  It's actually always been hard for me to get enough dairy into my diet.  I don't like yogurt and I don't like milk, the only dairy I really like is cheese and that has a lot of  fat so I try not to eat too much of it.

However, a couple years ago I discovered Greek yogurt and my world changed.  Finally, I found a yogurt I liked!  However, there is only one way that I like it.  I buy the plain non-fat Greek yogurt and mix in 1 splenda, cinnamon, blueberries and 2 tablespoons of granola.  I probably eat this 2 times a week or so, either for breakfast or for a light lunch and the weight watchers point value comes out to only 4 points for the whole thing.

A couple of weeks ago when food shopping I was picking up my few containers of Chobani plain yogurt and I saw that they had a new flavor - apple cinnamon.  I decided to give it a try.


Turns out, this flavor is AMAZING.  This variety is non-fat as well but the point value for the yogurt is 3 points, instead of the plain which is 2 points.  Most people would be fine with that because you'd just eat the yogurt.  However, I need crunch.  That was always my problem with yogurt - it's just so blah because there is no texture.  That's why I always add granola and blueberries to the plain yogurt, to give it some added textures.  For my first couple containers of this new yogurt I still added my 2 tablespoons of granola, but then the point value for the whole thing went up to 5 points.  I wanted to figure out a way to keep it at 4 points. 

Enter Fiber One 80-Calorie cereal.  I bought this cereal a couple of weeks ago and wasn't too impressed.  If you doctor it up enough with bananas and cinnamon it's OK for breakfast, but I just wasn't a huge fan.  However, mixed in with this yogurt it is a perfect accompaniment!  The cereal has 2 points in 3/4 cups, so I've been measuring out 1/4 cup of the cereal into small containers and bringing them to work with me to add to the yogurt. 


I also add just a little extra cinnamon to the yogurt since I really like cinnamon.  This makes a very satisfying and light breakfast, and it is only 4 points!


1 comment:

  1. I'll have to look for this flavor. I also didn't care for the fiber one-80 calorie cereal. But the original fiber one may make a good addition to the yogurt.

    ReplyDelete